Pack your parcels with confidence – our ten top tips
Whether you’re posting parcels for your online business or eBay sales, you’re a student sending your belongings home or even sending a gift, there are some golden rules to follow to pack your items so that they arrive in perfect condition.
The goal is to protect what is inside and help it reach its destination.
Here are ten top tips to help you pack with confidence and avoid unnecessary mishaps, from Warren Wilson, Owner and packing expert at Mail Boxes Canterbury.
- Use a rigid box with flaps intact, preferably new. An old box will have lost rigidity and strength and is more likely to become crushed.
- If packing with a used box, remove any labels, hazardous materials indicators, and other previous shipment markings on the box that are no longer applicable. This will ensure there is no confusion with where it is going or what the contents are.
- Wrap all items separately. This will help to stop items banging against each other and being damaged in transit
- Use bubble wrap and put two or three wraps around the item. Especially important for fragile items as it will protect against impact damage when the box is being moved.
- Use cushioning material, bubble wrap or thick brown paper and pack around items so there is 5cm between the items and the box edge. If your item is packed close to the box edge it could get damaged in transit.
- Check the contents don’t move around when the box is moved, items are more likely to get damaged if they can move around the box. If there is movement in the box, you haven’t used enough cushioning.
- Use strong tape designed for shipping and seal all edges. This will add to the strength of the box and help with the security of the contents.
- Don’t use string or paper over-wrap. String can get caught in machinery and conveyor belts increasing the odds of it getting damaged. Paper is easily ripped, not very secure and could result in the loss of the destination address.
- Use a single address label that has clear, complete delivery and return information.
- Place a duplicate address label inside the package so if the original label does get lost there is a record of the destination.
Expert packing advice
If you still have questions or don’t have the right packing materials to hand, then give Warren or Dave a call on 01227 656161 for expert packing advice and a range of quality packing materials to buy.
Want us to pack your items for you? No problem! We can give you a quote to pack and ship your items so that you can get on with what you do best.
UK and Worldwide Delivery
Mail Boxes Canterbury can ship your items anywhere in the world. We use preferred couriers to send your packages and documents to Countries the World over. It may also be cheaper than you think!
- A global distribution network
- Packing services
- Packaging materials
- Expert advice
- Enhanced cover for high value items